Saturday, July 31, 2010

Easy Marathon Prep With 10 Miler

I took two days off to give my hip a rest, and to avoid Wednesday’s electrical storm. Today was supposed to be another easy day where I could stretch my legs in preparation for more marathon speed work. So that is exactly what I did.

During the first 5 miles, I found it easy to maintain control over my stride, keeping it stretched out and maintaining control over foot placement. I also find that I am running on the balls of my feet more, running through my big toe, and spending less time running through my heels.



After mile 7, the gait started getting sloppy and I found my legs swinging out in circles parallel to the ground. When this starts happening, I notice that I don’t bend my legs. And when my legs don’t bend, I don’t get any drive out of them. All of the push comes from the hips and lower legs. Nothing comes from the quads or the hamstrings. So, after mile 7, I struggled to maintain control over my stride and keep pace because I was not using the full power of my legs. I’m gonna have to work extra hard to build up my strength to last over several marathons.

But I finished within 90 minutes. I used the usual 1 mile warm up and cool down.

And I wore the Asics 1130s today. They are a little heavier than the other shoes, but it forced me to pick up my feet.

At this pace, I should bring my marathon time back down to 3:40

No comments:

Post a Comment